close
Choose your channels
siren
lal_salaam

Man loses his eye sight to a parasite after sleeping with his contact lenses on

Saturday, February 18, 2023 • Tamil Comments
Listen to article
--:-- / --:--
1x
This is a beta feature and we would love to hear your feedback?
Send us your feedback to audioarticles@vaarta.com

In the USA's florida, a man named Mike Krumholz lost his vision in a bizarre incident. The 21-year-old's eye sight was damaged by a rare flesh-eating parasite after he fell asleep with his contact lenses.

Mike has been using contact lenses for seven years. Recently, he suffered a weird eye infection after he forgot to take his contact lenses off. Mike took a quick nap after a busy day at his part-time job looking after children. He said that he experienced pain from the back of his head to the front of his eye.

Mike was initially diagnosed with herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). The doctors treated it but his condition worsened. He was eventually diagnosed with a rare flesh-eating parasite, acanthamoeba keratitis, that is feeding away his right eye.

Mike can no longer work or resume his studies after he forgot to take off his lenses when he took a nap on December 19 last year. He might need an eye transplant, once he's eligible for surgery. He is now trying to raise awareness that sleeping with contact lenses is not a good idea.

Follow us on Google News and stay updated with the latest!