Choose your channels

Lost Man Reunited with Family in Bangladesh after 1 Year

Thursday, May 30, 2019 • Tamil Comments
Listen to article
--:-- / --:--
This is a beta feature and we would love to hear your feedback?
Send us your feedback to

Bipul Deb, a resident of Bangladesh, had come to Chennai for treatment of his spinocerebellar degenerative disorder at a private hospital. The 48-year-old man left the room at a lodge he was staying at and lost his way. Banyan, a mental health NGO working with the homeless population found Bipul roaming the streets near Thousand Lights in May last year. When found, he was not able to communicate or walk. The director of The Banyan, psychiatrist K.V. Kishore Kumar said: “We don’t know why he walked out. It could have been due to an acute psychotic episode or low sodium or potassium levels.”

It was first crucial to determine whether he was suffering from a mental illness or a neurological condition. After a difficult two months in which he did not sleep and needed continuous monitoring, Bipul responded to the care. He was provided with treatment for his neurological condition. Tracing his family was a tough task considering that he was from Bangladesh. The police, Banyan and the government were instrumental in making reintegration a possibility. Adarsh Babu, coordinator of the Banyan Shelter at Santhome contacted the Migration and Inclusive Development in Kerala who in turn got in touch with the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi. Following this, the man's family was located with the help of the Immigration Department. Bipul’s cousin Abijith Deb who saw his brother on a video call was relieved to find him and had been sure he was alive. Considering his shift back to his native place, he has been referred to a neurologist in Bangladesh.

Bipul has been suffering from the neurological condition for the past 2 years. He has been completely cut off from his wife and children for the past year. Adarsh Babu reports remembering how he smiled at him after he spoke to his brother on the phone. After this call, Bipul never tried to leave the premises. When his brother and cousin arrived in Chennai, he fell at his elder brother’s feet in an overwhelming moment of happiness.

This weekend Bipul will be heading back to his homeland. He used to manage the family’s provision store back at home. Hopefully, he will have a smooth transition after his one year in Chennai.

Follow us on Google News and stay updated with the latest!